• Please note that you cannot register on our forum using any Microsoft-owned email address (Outlook, Hotmail, Live, etc) as they don't like us very much and bounce mails straight back to us.

The Orville

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
I just took a look at this today - is it me, or are their Krill dead ringers for the albino-looking Klingons in Discovery?

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Orville is basically star trek in all but a name. off brand star trek if you will :happy:
It's pretty funny in places - where the first officer was being interrogated to find out where her friends were and her answer was a reference to Chandler, Joey and co was chuckle-worthy. I think I prefer some of the characters in Discovery, but they seem to be killing off the cool ones.

essi2

Eye of the Xrixi
ESO Officer
Best answers
This is more or less what I imagine would happen if you put SG1, Family Guy and Star Trek in a blender :p

Also, so far my favorite character is Dora the Explorer.

Linaleah

Sheogorath's Lackey
Best answers
It's pretty funny in places - where the first officer was being interrogated to find out where her friends were and her answer was a reference to Chandler, Joey and co was chuckle-worthy. I think I prefer some of the characters in Discovery, but they seem to be killing off the cool ones.
I have yet to watch Discovery, mainly cause in USA they are bound and determined to hide it behind an extra paywall >_> from what I'm reading about it - it makes deep space nine look shiny and lighthearted. trying not to make any more sweeping judgments about it until entire season is out and I just subscribe for a month, marathon it then, but... at a glance, i prefer Orville, TBH. both in terms of tone and in terms if its characters.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
IMHO, Discovery is darker than DS9 - for one thing, there's no Quark and his fellow Ferengi (sp?) to lighten the mood. I guess Tilly is meant to be the comic relief but in that aspect she's more annoying than funny. There's also a semi-respectable body count so far, though episode 5 was meh both in terms of plot and in terms of death and destruction. Still, so far, every time I have something figured out, I'm proven wrong either by dead bodies or other stuff.

Still puzzled as to why they have Jason Isaacs doing a bad fake American accent. He did it so well in Black Hawk Down that someone had to point him out to me after I'd seen it for the umpteenth time - I genuinely thought it was some bald American dude playing the part.

Edit: Derp - I just realised this is the Orville thread, not the Discovery one. Bad Rootimus!

To keep on-topic, the Orville is funny in places, but it's too light-hearted to really hit my sci-fi spot. I want dead aliens, exploding spaceships, laser beams and mostly serious (and intelligent) dialogue. Did I mention dead aliens and exploding spaceships? :happy:

essi2

Eye of the Xrixi
ESO Officer
Best answers
The Orville has exploded a few times already, not completely though :p

But yes, Orville is Family Guy first. SG1 second and Star Trek third.

Linaleah

Sheogorath's Lackey
Best answers
it honestly feels like "if star trek had family guy characters starring in it, its practically a love letter to star trek in its own, family guy like way :p having seen some recent family guy episodes, its well... nowhere near as bad as actualy family guy

and yeah, its pretty much what I said, that Discovery is looking like its much darker then deep space nine, and deep space nine was probably the darkest of all the Star Treks.

kinda tired of dark sci-fi, to be honest, so Orville is almost... refreshing, at least to me :p family guy undertones and all :p

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Any chance of you posting the content of the tweet for those of us who block "social" data-farming sites at the router level? :happy:

essi2

Eye of the Xrixi
ESO Officer
Best answers
I'm not going to transcribe a video for you Root xD

Basically Season 2 this Winter.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Just catching up on season two. They get their hands on a 400-year old iPhone from a time capsule, and the archeologist (Tim Russ - Tuvoc from Voyager) is explaining the language differences. Instead of asking her friend where the nearest Wireless Technology Facility was, she simplified it to "WTF?". :laugh:

General
Help Users
Notice: The status channel is only for admin notices, notifications from various forum features, etc. Please post in another channel.
  • essi2 essi2
    Healthcare worker in training.. don't get sick or old in Norway.. you are warned
  • Rootimus Rootimus
    Nerf summer, buff winter
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Just did some software upgrades - please let me know if you find any forum features not working.
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    ESO Witches Festival: No news article to back it up, but I hear it starts on 24th Oct.
    Rootimus @ Rootimus: ESO Witches Festival: No news article to back it up, but I hear it starts on 24th Oct.
    Top Bottom