• Please note that you cannot register on our forum using any Microsoft-owned email address (Outlook, Hotmail, Live, etc) as they don't like us very much and bounce mails straight back to us.

Recommendation please for SSD & SATA

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Xrixi

Administrator
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Ok so I want to replace my old hard drive for a new one.

This is my main board: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-Z97X-Gaming-3-rev-10#ov

From what I read (understand) is that I can only install 1 SSD and perhaps an extra SATA hard drive.
Right now I have a 500 GB hard drive and am running out of space all the time. I do not like that! I play big games. Mass effect, Dragon Age, Eso, swtor so on and so on. I do not want to keep uninstalling and installing games. As for movie and other downloads that is not really my thing so I am not fuzzed about that. However I do plan to make lots of photo's from my painting and take space as well. Besides that I offcourse run stuff like Open Office, Gimp and other programs.

So what is your recommendation? Get 1 500 GB SSD and a 1 TB SATA?
Also I read there are different connection for the SSD. From reading the manual of my main board it supports both SATA and M.2
Does this mean I could get both? 1x M.2 SSD and 1x SATA SSD? That way I could get a total of 1 TB. That is more then enough
Or can I use only 1 of them? Since the specs on the website says: (M.2,SATA EXpress, and SATA3 4/5 connectors can only be used one at a time. The SATA5 4/5 connectors will bcome unavailable when an M.2 SSD is installed) Also is the M.2 connection not better suited for the SSD instead of using a SATA connection?

I also want to replace my old memory. I am thinking of getting https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/284488/corsair-vengeance-lp-cml8gx3m2a1600c9/specificaties/
x2 so a total of 32 GB of memory.

Any tips, pointers, explanations is much appreciated

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
I use a crucial SSD in my gaming rig. It might not be bleeding edge, but they're a reputable manufacturer and I've had no problems so far. My other PCs have slightly cheaper drives by SanDisk and I've had no issues there, either. I don't run games off my SSD but instead use a second mechanical drive. Yes, it's slightly slower that way but I like to keep the reads / writes as low as possible to prolong the life of the SSD. I also have all the various windows temp directories on the second drive.

Corsair is good memory - I use vengeance in my gaming PC. Be sure to check it's compatible with your motherboard as there's variations.

Xrixi

Administrator
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Perhaps I should have been more clear.
Can I install 2 SSD drives with 1x a M.2 connection and 1x SATA connection? Or am I stuck at 1 SSD and 1 mechanical?

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
M.2 is like witchcraft, sorcery and database administration - a complete mystery, though I've heard it's somewhat faster than SATA SSDs. According to the specs for that motherboard you linked, you can run 4 SATA drives and the M.2 or you can run 6 SATA drives (assuming your case has room). The SATA drives can be any combination of regular SSD and mechanical.

JetPacWilly

Sheogorath's Lackey
Best answers
I think my m'board is the same or similar to yours but I haven't tried M.2 yet. M.2 are way more expensive than standard SSD currently. I thought there were 3 x SATA3 connections out of 6 in total. This means you could combine say 2x SSD with an HDD or 1x SSD and 2x HDD. I would go with a 250Gb Samsung EVO 850 SSD (system drive) and a 2Tb HDD for storage and games (I use a Seagate). If you intend using a RAID system that would change the setup again.

My setup uses a 240Gb SSD as system and a 1Tb HDD for everything else. I only use 16Gb memory as any extra is overkill. But make sure its dual channel 2x 8Gb sticks

Last edited:
General
Help Users
Notice: The status channel is only for admin notices, notifications from various forum features, etc. Please post in another channel.
  • essi2 essi2
    Healthcare worker in training.. don't get sick or old in Norway.. you are warned
  • Rootimus Rootimus
    Nerf summer, buff winter
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    lol
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Off-world Trading Company is free on Epic games
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Goat of Duty - free on Steam until the end of the month
    Rootimus @ Rootimus: Goat of Duty - free on Steam until the end of the month
    Top Bottom