New PC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:4)

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
After spending 3 weeks down a rabbit hole, I think I've finally figured out the build, though with my luck the PSU isn't compatable with the case fan, or something equally mind-boggling. :xfrolleyes:
  • i9 9900K
  • MSI Core Frozr XL CPU cooler
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • EVGA RTX2080 Black Edition
  • 32GB (2x16) Corsair Vengeance Pro 3GHz
  • 250GG Samsung EVO M2 - primary drive
  • 120GB Corsair M2 - civ drive
  • Seagate 2TB HDD
  • 750W Seasonic Prime PSU
  • Thermaltake Core X9 case
This setup should run minesweeper at 5 FPS. :xfgrin:

Gnatz

Sheogorath's Lackey
Decided to go with the i9 after all, huh?

<counts on fingers> Dang. You can buy a LOT of beer with the money you're puttin' in that beast.

If it was me, I'd spend some serious coin on surge suppression or maybe even UPS (as insurance).

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Even my crappy AMD box that I use for torrents, etc is surge protected. I've been meaning to go down the UPS rabbit hole for quite a while, but once this baby arrives I definitely need to make that more of a priority. I need something that can shut down multiple PCs and a one-drive NAS.

I did give serious consideration go the i7 9700 and 8700, but at all the places I'm looking at buying from the price difference is negligable. Quite honestly, there seems to be no relation between price and performance with Intel CPUs.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Had to make a few tweaks to the build because of parts that were out of stock, but I now have no beer money for a while. The worst part is that the CPU cooler I picked was one of the parts, so now I'm stuck with a Noctua D15. They're generally considered the best air cooler around, but the fans are *beige*. /vomit

I compensated by bumping the Civ drive up to 240GB. Will post a pic when it arrives, but first I have to clear enough space for a small aircraft so the case will have somewhere to sit. :xftongue:

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
I agree it's taking first-world problems to the extreme, but still. *Beige*. Maybe when I've paid off my credit card and the PC is out of warranty, I might replace them with fans that look like they were made after the 70s. Talking of paying, anyone want to buy any internal organs? :p

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
We are talking about fans that you can barely see once everything is assembled, right? :p
With a horizontal motherboard and a huge window on the side of the case I suspect it's going to be far more visible than some builds. It'll be worse if I have to swap the window panel to the other side for better graphics card ventilation, because then the 50 ton block of metal atop the CPU will be the star of the show.

General
Help Users
Notice: The status channel is only for admin notices, notifications from various forum features, etc. Please post in another channel.
  • essi2 essi2
    ↳ Healthcare worker in training.. don't get sick or old in Norway.. you are warned
  • Rootimus Rootimus
    ↳ Yarrr!
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Truly first-world problem: 3,000Mhz RAM, or LED RAM @ 2,666MHz. :p
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Winter Sale has started.. everywhere
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Merry New Year - beef jerky time!
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Anyone played Black Desert Online? Is it any good?
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Chat is broken
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    It posted in status instead of in here
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    It is the most grindy thing i have ever played. The crafting/life skills are good. There is no player to player trading, if you want to trade with a friend you have to sell it on the market and hope a bot doesn't get it first
  • R @ Racha:
    That doesn't sounds like much fun. :sad:
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    It does have things for the guild to do together, but it's also kinda grindy. You get Guild bonuses to your stats
  • R @ Racha:
    I guess I might give Guild Wars 2 a try, then. Definitely need something new until Gathering Storm hits.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    If we want something just to distract us for a bit, BDO is fine. But it is very time consuming, very paranoid about exploitation/gold selling and has open PvP after level 40
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    I *think* I've fixed the shoutbox issues.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    We could also play Warhammer Online :p
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Darn, I'm so slow it took me a minute to realise that was a joke!
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    There is Return of Reckoning, but WAR isn't exactly a modern playing game anymore
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Down the rabbit hole, through the looking glass and out via a wormhole into another universe. AKA trying to find the right parts for a PC build.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    @Rootimus Look out for crappy clock speeds
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    I'm currently lost in a maze of CPU coolers, mis-leading intel specs and a lack of an industry-wide TDP standard for air coolers. Clock speeds are way over the horizon for now. :p
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    If anyone is looking at getting an i9 9900k, Intel's claim of it having a 95W TDP is bunk - it's 210W once that puppy warms up.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Looks like they changed BDO to be slightly less grindy, it is still very Korean though
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    I took a quick look at their site and decided to pass. :p
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    The crafting is so good, I'm saddened that it is wasted on such a grindy game
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    It seems like you can have a good game or a good crafting system or neither.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    ZOS really are champions of BS, true Masters of the Art
    essi2 @ essi2: ZOS really are champions of BS, true Masters of the Art
    Top Bottom