New PC

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
After spending 3 weeks down a rabbit hole, I think I've finally figured out the build, though with my luck the PSU isn't compatable with the case fan, or something equally mind-boggling. :xfrolleyes:
  • i9 9900K
  • MSI Core Frozr XL CPU cooler
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • EVGA RTX2080 Black Edition
  • 32GB (2x16) Corsair Vengeance Pro 3GHz
  • 250GG Samsung EVO M2 - primary drive
  • 120GB Corsair M2 - civ drive
  • Seagate 2TB HDD
  • 750W Seasonic Prime PSU
  • Thermaltake Core X9 case
This setup should run minesweeper at 5 FPS. :xfgrin:

Gnatz

Sheogorath's Lackey
Best answers
Decided to go with the i9 after all, huh?

<counts on fingers> Dang. You can buy a LOT of beer with the money you're puttin' in that beast.

If it was me, I'd spend some serious coin on surge suppression or maybe even UPS (as insurance).

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Even my crappy AMD box that I use for torrents, etc is surge protected. I've been meaning to go down the UPS rabbit hole for quite a while, but once this baby arrives I definitely need to make that more of a priority. I need something that can shut down multiple PCs and a one-drive NAS.

I did give serious consideration go the i7 9700 and 8700, but at all the places I'm looking at buying from the price difference is negligable. Quite honestly, there seems to be no relation between price and performance with Intel CPUs.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Had to make a few tweaks to the build because of parts that were out of stock, but I now have no beer money for a while. The worst part is that the CPU cooler I picked was one of the parts, so now I'm stuck with a Noctua D15. They're generally considered the best air cooler around, but the fans are *beige*. /vomit

I compensated by bumping the Civ drive up to 240GB. Will post a pic when it arrives, but first I have to clear enough space for a small aircraft so the case will have somewhere to sit. :xftongue:

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
I agree it's taking first-world problems to the extreme, but still. *Beige*. Maybe when I've paid off my credit card and the PC is out of warranty, I might replace them with fans that look like they were made after the 70s. Talking of paying, anyone want to buy any internal organs? :p

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
We are talking about fans that you can barely see once everything is assembled, right? :p
With a horizontal motherboard and a huge window on the side of the case I suspect it's going to be far more visible than some builds. It'll be worse if I have to swap the window panel to the other side for better graphics card ventilation, because then the 50 ton block of metal atop the CPU will be the star of the show.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
It's finally arrived \o/

IMG_0534.JPG

The fans look as awful as predicted. :p That's a 24" monitor next to it for comparison. There's room for a couple of hundred more fans and space for it to double as an X-Wing hanger. The corsair mouse mat is surprisingly good quality considering it was a freebie (got a coffee mug and USB recovery disk free, too).

civ load temps.png

The good news is that my old rig (i7 3770 / GTX 660) could make Cams show a lot of warnings because of the graphics card hitting 80+ degrees running Civ 6. The new CPU is running about 20 degrees cooler, too.

I tried ESO earlier with everything set to maximum (the ultra-high setting doesn't turn everything up this far) and was getting 40-60 FPS and decent temps (will add a screenshot if anyone is interested).

General
Help Users
Notice: The status channel is only for admin notices, notifications from various forum features, etc. Please post in another channel.
  • essi2 essi2
    Healthcare worker in training.. don't get sick or old in Norway.. you are warned
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Don't get me started on printers...
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Damn thing can't even connect to a hidden network SSID despite the whitelisted MAC for the printer having a reserved IP address. The stupid, it burns!
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Got dc'ed because if inactivity
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Discord is evil
  • Xrixi @ Xrixi:
    Essi, you have a 20 min windows.. or should have... to get back in without the waiting queueue
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    I predict that, shockingly, that 20 minute thing doesn't work. :p
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Doesn't apply when you get DC'ed from inactivity.
  • Xrixi @ Xrixi:
    tsk tsk, train your pet hamster better:wink:
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    lol
  • essi2 @ essi2:
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Hamsters? Gerbils FTW!
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    ^Alcast Necro video
  • Xrixi @ Xrixi:
    Yeah found some other video's as well. Looks like a very cool class to play
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    On a scale of 1 to 10, how many nerfbats will ZOS hit it with in the first patch after Elsweyr is released? :p
  • Xrixi @ Xrixi:
    well... yes... still looks like a cool class to play :wink:
  • Xrixi @ Xrixi:
    And who cares? I don't I just go casual mode
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    People are still claiming the Warden is useless, people just don't know how to play non-meta
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    The Necro will get nerfed, but that's mostly down to ZOS being unable to balance anything
  • Kraynic @ Kraynic:
    I have never played an mmo that could add a class that wasn't either useless or stupidly OP at its release. The Necromancer will be just another in a long line in that tradition.
    +1
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Assassin's Creed: Unity is free until 25th April.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    There is a Crown sale on all platforms atm
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Dang, reported a bug with Civ 6 Wednesday on a fan site, got a reply from one of the top devs today to say it'd been squashed. Why can't ZOS be like that?
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    If you've got an AD character that needs Cyrodiil skyshards, we currently own all but two keeps in the Sheogorath campaign.
    Rootimus @ Rootimus: If you've got an AD character that needs Cyrodiil skyshards, we currently own all but two keeps...
    Top Bottom