• Please note that you cannot register on our forum using any Microsoft-owned email address (Outlook, Hotmail, Live, etc) as they don't like us very much and bounce mails straight back to us.

Ghost Recon: Wildlands

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:2)

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
It'll be interesting to see if this turns out to be as good as it looks, and just how open world it really is. This vid is the same mission three times, showing the different ways to execute it.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
I bit the bullet, so it's unlikely you'll be seeing me in ESO any time soon. :p It's not proper Ghost Recon, because it has a bunch of stuff changed to appeal to the lowest common denominator (the CS / CoD 4 crowd) (just making it third person utterly ruins it in that regard *vomit*). That said, they haven't turned it into too much of an arcade game - thought is still required and some of the missions are tough as hell if you screw up and set off alarms.

The fact that you can pick and choose the order you deal with missions makes it interesting (obviously, some missions are only unlocked by pre-reqs, but there's still a feeling of freedom). Presumably, the drug cartel you're fighting is funded by the CIA because they have so many black hawks and little birds that they could start a used helo dealership. I borrowed this one:

1572042544620.jpeg

Here's some cartel dirtbag about to get surprise interrogation (and a subliminal advert for ARK in the mini map?):

1572042672974.jpeg

I take the video game comment back - isn't RL warfare a lot like that for certain parts of the US military? Here's me using a drone to designate targets for my fellow ghosts. Suppressed weapons and stealth FTW, and then we're going to steal your cars. Unlike GR Advanced Warfighter 2, Wildlands doesn't let you adjust NPC loadout which is a pain. There's also a lot less control over NPC team mates, but the sync shot is a vast improvement over its predecessor in that regard.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2019-10-24-21-5-26.jpg

The Bolivian army very rudely shot down the helo when I was on my way to kill them all. I died. Here's a photo of my dying body and my NPC team mate standing that and *not* reviving me. Once I respawned we unleashed some hurt on the Bolivian army troops responsible and in the middle of the firefight my NPC sends me a "rate my reviving" e-mail.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2019-10-25-14-57-31.jpg

I'm still working through all the leveling up in single-player mode. There's various perks that take time to earn (infinite battery for the drone is a Sheogorath-send). There's also CoD levels of nonsense weapons to unlock when all anyone really needs is an M4, sidearm and either a sniper rifle of MP5SD in the secondary weapon slot (kidding - if you're down to your sidearm you're already dead). No doubt there's a stupid desert eagle somewhere in the pistol unlocks because ~stupid internet gaming kids~. There's also useful accessories you can (talking to rebels or interrogating bad guys marks a lot of them on the map). Personally, I'm utterly useless with iron sights in video games and in real life so I grabbed the first optical add-on I could.

I'll leave you with something that made me laugh. Most people know that the only place a laser pointer is any use on a gun is in a stupid Hollyweird movie. The RL physics of bullet drop mean that if you're far enough away that you need help targeting, then you're too far away for the laser to point at where the bullet will actually hit. The conversation at Ubisoft probably went something like this:

Dev 1: We could add a laser sight, but they're ghey and everyone does it.
Dev 2: You know what would make us stand out and be super-ghey? Three useless lasers for the price of one.
Devs: *\o/*

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2019-10-25-2-35-38.jpg

Last edited:

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Any landing you can walk away from... (flying planes is hard)

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2019-10-26-10-5-54.jpg

*Not* what was meant when you were sent on a training mission:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2019-10-26-14-35-5.jpg

Helicopter sniping - when you're too lazy to land and kill them the old fashioned way.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2019-10-26-18-23-7.jpg

Bad things happen to aircraft when you snipe the pilots:

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2019-10-26-4-22-48.jpg

It's a trap. Also a fun Easter egg, but definitely a trap. Silly me figured the first part out from the text, but didn't get the visual references until I was in trouble. D'oh!

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands2019-10-26-23-23-2.jpg

Never played Splinter Cell, but I'm pretty sure that dude gave me a mission. Also ran one for Rainbow, though no Ding or Clark. Didn't play that one either, but sounds like the game is nothing like the book judging from the mission I ran. Also running missions for the guy you play in some of the earlier Ghost Recon games, so I guess there's no Tom Clancy tie-in left behind. :p Where's Waldo Jack Ryan?

General
Help Users
Notice: The status channel is only for admin notices, notifications from various forum features, etc. Please post in another channel.
  • essi2 essi2
    Healthcare worker in training.. don't get sick or old in Norway.. you are warned
  • Rootimus Rootimus
    Nerf summer, buff winter
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    "Note this section still appears in the UI for the time being, but does not actually function. " lol, so ZOS
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Oh, Essi, you expect them to be efficient? Tsk, tsk!
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    First-world problems: my internet connection is impersonating a yo-yo today. Thank Sheo for offline games.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    The Outer Worlds is available on Xbox Game Pass for PC, you know.. incase you rather give your money to MS instead of Epic
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Bit the bullet and splurged on Ark Survival. Might rent a server depending on how things go.
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Company of Heroes 2 is free on Steam, but only for the next few hours.
    Rootimus @ Rootimus: Company of Heroes 2 is free on Steam, but only for the next few hours.
    Top Bottom