• Please note that you cannot register on our forum using any Microsoft-owned email address (Outlook, Hotmail, Live, etc) as they don't like us very much and bounce mails straight back to us.

Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

NiteFaze

Sheogorath's Lackey
Best answers
it all started when I hit the Win10 update button, after long avoiding it and against my better judgement, curiosity got the better of me and now ESO is totally unplayable. I can remain in game for roughly 2-15 minutes before my screen goes black and this error pops up, but it doesn't crash the game, I can still run around and open up bags, but no graphics. Now, the problem persists after a total wipe and reinstall of my previously running smoothly Win7, along with a fresh install of ESO, Nvidia drivers and the like. ALL other games I play without any problem whatsoever, most on max settings. Planetside 2, Diablo 3, Shadow of Mordor, all stable game play.
I've spent the last 2 days investigating this problem and I am totally baffled.

Intel Core i7 CPU930 2.8GHz
6GB RAM
Win7 64bit
GeForce GTX760

I build my own machines, so while I do understand components and the basics of OS installation and software, I am but a novice. I know nothing of code or anything beyond an amateur computer enthusiast. So my drivers are up to date and i've rolled back to previous ones. My System has plenty of power and cooling. I do not completely rule out some type of hardware issue as my spec obviously are rather dated, however, it was plenty for me to run ESO (before all this fiasco) on high settings with no trouble at all and all my other games run just fine.
If anyone has any suggestions i welcome them, because as it stands right now, I can't play ESO

Last edited:

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
What's the error message that you're getting? Did it start before or after Monday's update?

NiteFaze

Sheogorath's Lackey
Best answers
The Error Message reads exactly "Display Driver Stopped and Has Recovered", i've not been able to locate an actual # code.
However, through searching i found this post HERE.
in my testing today i've discovered that running on September Nvidia Drivers 355.98 seems to be stable for me. played for an hour today with no black screen.
Not entirely sure it's fixed but so far so good.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Glad you found a solution. A dearth of black screens is usually a good thing.

General
Help Users
Notice: The status channel is only for admin notices, notifications from various forum features, etc. Please post in another channel.
  • essi2 essi2
    Healthcare worker in training.. don't get sick or old in Norway.. you are warned
  • Rootimus Rootimus
    Nerf summer, buff winter
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    lol
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Off-world Trading Company is free on Epic games
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Goat of Duty - free on Steam until the end of the month
    Rootimus @ Rootimus: Goat of Duty - free on Steam until the end of the month
    Top Bottom