Audio File Editing?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:4)

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
I want an app that will let me cut parts out of audiobook files and then stick the leftovers together, without needing a PhD in quantum physics. Anyone able to recommend an app for this?

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
That was my first stop, but you have to faff around with installing other ~things~ if you want it to work with .mp3 files and I really don't like clutter on my gaming PC. I might have to wait until I replace my aging linux box and use Audacity there. Just seems odd to me that a task so simple should be so hard to achieve; there are times when I need to use a combo of photoshop, GIMP and paint.net to get simple graphics stuff done.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Apparently (and my brief try with it the other day backs this up), it can't both open and save mp3 files out of the box (it can do one or the other). You have to install the LAME codec back and some other ~stuff~.

I have some full-cast audio plays and just want to cut out the music where they spilt a single file up into episodes and then repeat the last part at the beginning of the new part, leaving me with a single file that has no musical interludes and no repeated dialogue. I was hoping someone might be able to recommend an app that literally let you drag across the soundwave image to select, delete the offending parts and click one button to stick the rest back together.

Software companies should hire me to tell them what's wrong with the crap they make. :p

essi2

Eye of the Xrixi
ESO Officer
The software patent on LAME encoding library has expired, so now the LAME library for MP3 export is built-in with Audacity for Windows and Mac. Linux users will still need to download and install the free and recommended LAME third-party encoder to export MP3 files from Audacity.

Audacity literally does exactly the thing you are asking for.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
You know what would really help? If I could tell an mp3 file from an m4b file. :embarrassed:

The first few files on my to-do list are m4b, which to my simple brain is an mp3 file because Winamp plays them. Guess I'll have to go through my fairly large audiobook library and convert non-mp3 files, do the editing and then convert back if needed. Sorry I doubted you, Essi.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
I have no idea, beyond: because that's how they arrived on my hard drive. They're obviously similar enough for the same app to play them so silly me expected them to be edited. This stuff isn't rocket science (except it apparently is).

Off-topic: things like this happen to me frequently enough that I wonder if there's money to be made in an Alex Jones-style "show", where I just rant at the camera about dumb stuff being dumb. I wouldn't get law suits like he does, so if there's an audience I could make a fortune. :p

essi2

Eye of the Xrixi
ESO Officer
It's an Apple Corp. format primarily used for iTunes Audio Books, which probably explains why it isn't a standard library for audio editing software.

It comes in two variants, DRM'ed and not.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Maybe iTunes converted them when it was copying files to my gadgets. I'd swear they were all mp3 when I acquired them.

General
Help Users
Notice: The status channel is only for admin notices, notifications from various forum features, etc. Please post in another channel.
  • essi2 essi2
    Healthcare worker in training.. don't get sick or old in Norway.. you are warned
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Did I miss a memo, or something?
  • Kraynic @ Kraynic:
    The algorithms know better than to pay attention to your silly quotation marks. :devil:
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    LOL, foiled again!
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    If you apply a three-colour dye stamp, can you subsequently change just one of the colours (assuming you have ESO+)?
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Surviving Mars is on sale until May 20th
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    On steam?
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Warhammer: Vermintide 2 is free to play on steam this weekend.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Steam yes. Haven't checked GoG and Plaza
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Oooh, just found it on steam and it's also free to play for the next 2 days. Absolutely, positively, definitely going to try and find the time to give it a try. :p
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Time to Necro up!
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Download faster, little downloading thingy!
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    +1
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    If that link does what it says on the tin, all I can say is: Praise Sheogorath!
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Talking of addons, I had all my libraries in a seperate section at the bottom of the addon screen, but now they're back to being mixed in with the addons. Anyone know how I broke this?
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Dang, almost 2 hours to patch. Was the last big expansion this bad?
  • Xrixi @ Xrixi:
    was rather fast for me. 10 min tops
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Obviously the Dutch traded their weed-loaded brownies for faster download speeds. :p
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    @Rootimus That happens when the addon sorting addon is out of date and Allow Outdated is off
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Something is not right, loads of the new libs register as addons in the Addon selector addon
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Yup :sad:
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    I blame Gnatz.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    It is possible the Author of the Addon Selector needs to manually add the libs to a list of what addons the addon defines as libs
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    That sounds reasonable.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    "Hey all, we can confirm there is a combination of DLC ownership and ESO+ that is causing some of you to not receive surveys. We're working on getting this fixed as quickly as we can. Thank you for all the information! "
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    No surveys? Finally a useful bug!
    Rootimus @ Rootimus: No surveys? Finally a useful bug!
    Top Bottom