• Please note that you cannot register on our forum using any Microsoft-owned email address (Outlook, Hotmail, Live, etc) as they don't like us very much and bounce mails straight back to us.

Audio File Editing?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
I want an app that will let me cut parts out of audiobook files and then stick the leftovers together, without needing a PhD in quantum physics. Anyone able to recommend an app for this?

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
That was my first stop, but you have to faff around with installing other ~things~ if you want it to work with .mp3 files and I really don't like clutter on my gaming PC. I might have to wait until I replace my aging linux box and use Audacity there. Just seems odd to me that a task so simple should be so hard to achieve; there are times when I need to use a combo of photoshop, GIMP and paint.net to get simple graphics stuff done.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Apparently (and my brief try with it the other day backs this up), it can't both open and save mp3 files out of the box (it can do one or the other). You have to install the LAME codec back and some other ~stuff~.

I have some full-cast audio plays and just want to cut out the music where they spilt a single file up into episodes and then repeat the last part at the beginning of the new part, leaving me with a single file that has no musical interludes and no repeated dialogue. I was hoping someone might be able to recommend an app that literally let you drag across the soundwave image to select, delete the offending parts and click one button to stick the rest back together.

Software companies should hire me to tell them what's wrong with the crap they make. :p

essi2

Eye of the Xrixi
ESO Officer
Best answers
The software patent on LAME encoding library has expired, so now the LAME library for MP3 export is built-in with Audacity for Windows and Mac. Linux users will still need to download and install the free and recommended LAME third-party encoder to export MP3 files from Audacity.

Audacity literally does exactly the thing you are asking for.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
You know what would really help? If I could tell an mp3 file from an m4b file. :embarrassed:

The first few files on my to-do list are m4b, which to my simple brain is an mp3 file because Winamp plays them. Guess I'll have to go through my fairly large audiobook library and convert non-mp3 files, do the editing and then convert back if needed. Sorry I doubted you, Essi.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
I have no idea, beyond: because that's how they arrived on my hard drive. They're obviously similar enough for the same app to play them so silly me expected them to be edited. This stuff isn't rocket science (except it apparently is).

Off-topic: things like this happen to me frequently enough that I wonder if there's money to be made in an Alex Jones-style "show", where I just rant at the camera about dumb stuff being dumb. I wouldn't get law suits like he does, so if there's an audience I could make a fortune. :p

essi2

Eye of the Xrixi
ESO Officer
Best answers
It's an Apple Corp. format primarily used for iTunes Audio Books, which probably explains why it isn't a standard library for audio editing software.

It comes in two variants, DRM'ed and not.

Rootimus

Janitor
Admin
Donor
Founding Member
ESO Officer
Best answers
Maybe iTunes converted them when it was copying files to my gadgets. I'd swear they were all mp3 when I acquired them.

General
Help Users
Notice: The status channel is only for admin notices, notifications from various forum features, etc. Please post in another channel.
  • essi2 essi2
    Healthcare worker in training.. don't get sick or old in Norway.. you are warned
  • Rootimus Rootimus
    Nerf summer, buff winter
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Kerbal Space Program 2 - coming next year. (And there was, presumably, much rejoicing).
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Doesn't mean that the people in charge of deploying that database are competent or that the datacenter in Frankfurt are.
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    If it's a database issue then it's down to the DBA. The datacenter just provides the servers and the power to run them. Just another shining example of ZOS-class competence. :p
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    It is interesting that EU keeps dying and NA doesn't
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Sounds like some difference in hardware, but I'm only inferring that from other things the devs have directly said.
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    On the plus side, ZOS haven't gone full CCP and accidentally deleted everyone's boot.ini in an update. I'm calling that a win. \o/
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Good news: Orcs Must Die 3 confirmed. What the actual fuck news: You can only play it on some kind of Google spyware thing* that actually streams the game - absolutely no way to play offline.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Yea... sadly Stadia exclusives was going to happen :/
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    It had to happen eventually: NASA investigating first alleged crime committed in space.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Wherever people go, crime follows
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    I want to know why John Oliver never revealed the results of his investigation into the hole in the ISS. Whoever silenced him is the real space criminal.
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    For those who like Endless Legend, the same company is making Humankind, which appears to be Civ by a different name.
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Starhopper test flight coming up in an hour (hopefully).
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    SpaceX stream is up. T-10 minutes(ish)
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    LMAO - Best comment from the Starhopper test: If all else fails, Musk now has a corn silo relocation service he can live on...
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    French court rules in favour of rooster on trial for morning crowing. Who takes a rooster to court in the first place?
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Lego Star Destroyer for $700, anyone? 1.1 meters long, so you'll need plenty of space to display it!
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Turns out the Imperial City event started days ago.
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    If you read the GG EU MOTD, you would know this O_O
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    That's actually how I found out. I have a mod to disable ZOS announcements because they use it as crown store advertising.
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    You can only have one pending resurrection now? WTF, ZOS?
  • essi2 @ essi2:
    Is that new?
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Yup. I've always had multiple dead people with pending resurrections in Cyrodiil until today. I guess it was too easy to farm batches of 50 AP. :p
  • Rootimus @ Rootimus:
    Dirt Rally free on steam, but only a few hours left to get it.
    Rootimus @ Rootimus: Dirt Rally free on steam, but only a few hours left to get it.
    Top Bottom